Saturday, December 23, 2006

Top 10 Movies of 2006 (Part 1 of 6)

Last year, GoTriad! let me write a Top 5 of my favorite 2005 films I was forced to watch on video. Since then, my status with the paper has slightly increased and I was allowed to go whole-hog and write an entire Top 10 for all the movies this year.

Top 10's can be hard to do. In recent years, they were difficult because I actually had a hard time scrounging up enough 'good' movies to fill the damn thing out. However, this year was the exact opposite. This year, there were so many good movies, that there were no default titles on my list whatsoever. What's funny is, I could do a top 15, and still have trouble on which movies to exclude.

Anyway, here's what I'm going to do. Every day, I am going to post an entry from my list, starting with number 10. This will all lead up to Thursday when the entire list is published for on gotriad.com. And for those who haven't been paying attention, Thursday is also the day of Critical Mass a special broadcast were we will have 5 critics dishing on their top 5's for (hopefully) two whole hours.

So without further ado, here is number 10 on my list:



10) The Science of Sleep – Michel Gondry’s follow-up to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, is even more of a visual treat than its predecessor. Gael Garcia Bernal plays a Spanish immigrant living in France, who is unable to distinguish his dreams from reality. Gondry has a ball here using homemade crafts and traditional effects to create beautiful – albeit unique – visuals to remind us that CGI is not the only way to go when telling a fantastical story.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's thrilling installment entitled 'Number Nine' or 'Cave People Aren't Bad, They Just Don't Have Access to Fast Food Like We Do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home