Monday, January 14, 2008

So, The Orphanage came out in Greensboro this weekend

I just made a personal submission for Urban Dictionary. Check it:

"Dropping the Ball"
(1) The act of winning or having something good only to mess it up in the endgame.

(2) Warner/Picturehouse's release strategy for The Orphanage.

--


Got this e-mail from "Tilly" on Saturday:

"Hi Joe. I thought I'd check in with you. I'm back in NC. I saw that "The Orphanage" was playing at the Carmike 18...."


--


After reading this message, I thought, 'This can't be right!' I mean this is a really good movie - my favorite of the year. Why wasn't I able to find out when and where it was playing before my show on Thursday? Also, why aren't they playing it in any of the good theaters in town (i.e., The Carousel, The Grande or The Four Seasons Grand 18)? Well, I hit the Internet and sure enough, Tilly was right.

These are the showtimes:

11:30, 1:55, 4:25, 7:05, 9:35


I mean, what gives? The Orphanage is a well-made foreign film. Sure, it's also a frightening ghost story with a strangely heart-warming finale, but the types of audiences who would make The Orphanage a success like Pan's Labrynth aren't going to go anywhere near a Carmike. No wonder the movie opened wide at the number 16 spot at the box-office this weekend. If these smaller companies want to stay in the game, they need to know where the good theaters are.

Anyway, so now you know the film is out here in Greensboro and what times it is playing every day this week. You also have my promise that when you watch The Orphanage, you will see one of the most well-made horror films of the year.

Check out the ho-hum trailer:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home