Sunday, May 10, 2009

Where I have been.

About four months ago, I found this amazingly powerful magnetic marble lying on the ground at the school where I work.

In terms of magnetism, you could roll this baby down a wall and watch it stop wherever there was a nail.

So one day, I rolled said marble across my table - the same table where I had left my MacBook running - and instead of going straight across the table, the marble decided it liked the metallic parts inside my computer and made a detour.

At the very moment the marble kissed my MacBook, all digital files, information, and programs I had accumulated for many, many years were gone. This includes about 40 gigs of music, including my impressive soundtrack collection and $500 worth of iTunes files I never backed up. This includes podcasts, celebrity interviews, and screenplay drafts that are most likely gone for good.

I'm working through the problem right now. I have this wonderful program called Data Rescue II, which among other things, seems pretty good at retrieving corrupted data files that were fubared by large magnets. I've saved about 15 gigs of data, but considering there were almost 100 gigs that I didn't retrieve, I still have little reason to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I am going to make another pass through my computer today before uploading a new OS onto the computer. Guess this is the perfect excuse to upgrade to Leopard.

At any rate, I promise to have something up by tomorrow. Sorry for the lengthy state of incommunicado.

-Joe

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRaP! just got back from vacation and read this post. I wish you many more gigs of refound life and hope it gets better!
Holly shuck

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Yanni said...

OMG, that is one of the funniest and saddest stories I've ever heard. Have you contacted Apple yet? They still should have all the receipts of iTunes purchases and I can't see why they wouldn't let you download the same things for free.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home