Sunday, July 29, 2007

Reviews from the 'Boro (Volume 1)

Every Sunday, I am going to try and post a gathering of the most recent reviews to emerge from Greensboro, NC. I made a similar pledge almost a year ago, but this time I mean it.

Here we go:

From Yes!Weekly, we got Movie Show friend Glen Baity totally eviscerating Adam Sandler's newest I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, a movie I feel is the worst of the year. Glen actually one-up's me, declaring Chuck and Larry the 'worst movie of all time':

Since this week I'll be talking about a movie called I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, let me disabuse you of this notion right off. When I know I have to spend two hours on a Friday seeing a gay panic movie starring Adam Sandler and the unfunny one from "The King of Queens" - and I don't think I can emphasize this enough - my expectations are low. Very, very low.

As it turns out, not low enough.


Apparently, Glen's review has done nothing to prevent more audiences from viewing the cinematic turd. According to Box-Office Mojo, while knocked down a peg by The Simpson's Movie, Chuck and Larry will most likely cling to the number two spot, with a slim margin above John Travolta's Hairspray, which was positively reviewed by The Rhino's Orson Scott Card:

But I had no interest in the [original 1988] movie, or in the Broadway musical made from it, or in the movie musical made from the Broadway musical. I only went to see it because Zac Efron has become the teen idol-du-jour, meaning I am not cool unless I've seen his movies, and because Queen Latifah is in it.

I went, I saw, I was conquered.


Hmmm. I, too, had extremely low expectations for the musical Hairspray remake when I first heard about it, but I was pleasantly surprised. With high energy and a break-neck fast pace, there wasn't a moment throughout this film when I wasn't smiling or laughing. Co-host Mike compared its non-stop-joy-from-beginning-to-end with Die Hard 4, and I agree. Funny how the two best 'entertainments' of this summer were a musical remake and an action sequel that no one really wanted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home