Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Margot at the Wedding

Y'know, I completely forgot about this film. I had read over a year ago that Noah Baumbach wanted to follow his excellent 2005 release, The Squid and the Whale with another comedy about a dysfunctional family starring Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Jack Black. I even remember being told a year ago that we couldn't interview Baumbach because he was busy making this film, and yet somehow, I STILL forgot.

Well I was doing a quick news sweep this morning and caught a story from the Venice Film Festival on IMDB. The story quickly prompted me to seek out this beautifully made poster:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And this awesome trailer featuring a nice cover of the Crosby, Stills and Nash song "Our House" by Phantom Planet:



Looks like Baumback may have made yet another phenomenal movie as far as I can tell. And since The Squid and the Whale soundtrack has become one of my favorite CD's to play on the show, the album for Margot can't get here soon enough.

This is sort of a use-it-or-lose-it year career-wise for Jack Black. Actor's got two indie comedies coming out this year - the other being Michael Gondry's Be Kind Rewind. If he's terrible in both movies, he might be resigned to Straight-to-video Land, or an unneeded sequels for School of Rock. That doesn't seem to be the case, but let us hope he does well.

On a personal note, the trailer reminded me of a lot of drama that I encountered when I was started dating my wife. She had a 'Christianity Liason' (or CL), assigned to her by some campus faith organization, who really took her role seriously. Just like Nicole Kidman's character in the trailer, this CL was trying to convince my wife to break up with me because I didn't exhibit the 'fruits of the spirit.' Being the preacher's kid that I am, I explained to the CL that the fruits of the spirit were love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, kindness and temperance - traits I exhibit fairly often through my various forms of community and volunteer work. She then retorted that the 'fruits of the spirit' were basically a "catch-all" for the fact that she just didn't like me. We later found out she was on anti-depressants. Wonder what fruit of the spirit those represent? What's strange is that a lot of people also say I look like Jack Black....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home