Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let Millar write it!

According to several sources, Superman Returns writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris have abadoned Man of Steel, the upcoming sequel from director Bryan Singer to write and direct their own films. This may come as good news for those who complained the franchise re-ignitor was, 'Too much MAN and not enough SUPER.'

But what's even better news to me is this report from /Film about comics scribe Mark Millar ("Ultimates," and "Civil War") pitching his own idea for the script. Here's a juicy quote from Millar regarding the pitch:

“Revamping this franchise is what I [w]as given fingers for and so, invited or not, I’m putting my plan together now. I’ve been asked to work on half a dozen screenplays lately, but this is the only one I have ever truly wanted. I have literally hundreds of pages of notes and sketches just waiting for this opportunity. This would be my dream gig and, as a fan, I know exactly what this project needs to work. This has to be Superman for the 21st Century, keeping everything we adore, but starting from scratch and making the kids love it as much as the 30-somethings. I would honestly write this thing for free. Anyway, my treatment is being polished as we type. Wish me luck. I want to do that Superman movie we all want to see.”

I liked Superman Returns, and would argue that it is the only comic book movie that was nearly as good as X2 and Spider-Man 2. That said, if a total reboot is the way to go, Millar could be the man for the job. His work on "The Ultimates" is all the proof I need. Basically, "The Ultimates" was an alternate 'realed-up' version of 'Earth's mightiest heroes,' The Avengers. In the book, Millar took everything that was sensational and fun about The Avengers, and re-tooled it with a sense of modern plausability, something Millar says he wants to do with Superman. "The Ultimates" read like a very good Avengers comic, and Irecommend it highly, especially for people who don't normally read comics.

As for Man of Steel, production was slated to begin after Singer completes his fequently retitled Tom Cruise WWII project. I am wiling to wager, however, I doubt it. If this movie is a reboot, meaning Superman Returns will be negated, Singer will probably be dropping out very soon. That also means Superman's son he conceived with Lois somehow - which many people claim painted the current franchise into a corner - will dissapear in a cloud of smoke.

If Singer does leave the Superman camp, who do you guys think should direct Man of Steel? Also, do you think they should keep Brandon Routh?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home