Friday, November 09, 2007

Beowulf ads a knock-off of 300's?

"Todd" from FXRant dropped an excellent blog post on how the marketing for Robert Zemeckis' all-CGI Beowulf is very similar to that of Zack Snyder's all-CGI-but-the-actors 300. Having read the post, I must admit Todd makes an excellent case.

Here are some of the highlights:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Notice how the font on the credit cards at the end of both trailers is exactly the same? I mean sure, there are only so many fonts in the world, but what about the sepia-toned clouds in both backgrounds?

If that's not enough to make you shout, "HACK-JOB!" then check out this 'Tonight....' video comparison:


Note the same editing beats, the use of slow motion, as well as the industrial rock and roll in the background.

And lastly, here is a pair of 'SHOUT...YOUR...IDENTITY!' clips (the one from Beowulf looks totally ridiculous):


Since the knock-off scenes look extremely lame on the Beowulf side of things, this can only be bad news for Mike, who hated 300. I mean, how's the brother going to react to an even worse version of a movie he didn't like in the first place? In 3-D, no less? I can already imagine his articulate and witty response: 'With Zack Snyder's 300, I learned that two dimensions of suck was more than enough to make me feel I had wasted part of my life - too bad the Robert Zemeckis and company did not learn the same.'

Let's just hope these similarities were made during post, specifically for marketing purposes and will be omitted from the actual film; because if not, the movie had better be damn good in order to make me forget them.

Check out the rest of Todd's article by clicking here!

BONUS!: I found this hilarious photo on a website, and thought I would share it with you guys:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home