Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My nephew's first Halloween.

This post is only slightly movie-related, but I figure it gets a pass because 1) it is still movie-related nonetheless, and 2) my nephew Brodie is insanely cute.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I hold it sacred for many reasons, the biggest being that I wasn't always allowed to celebrate it. My father was a Baptist pastor, so whenever the religious-political winds blew against dressing up and going door-to-door on October 31st, my brother and I had to sit at home without costumes, all while gorging on a bag of treats my mom simply bought from the store. No wonder I got so heavy in life - if I had only gone trick-or-treating, I would have at least had to hustle down the sidewalk for my candy. Nowadays, Halloween's footing on the traditions and memories of a new generation of children is no less endangered. Recently my supervisor with the after-school program I work for told me I am not allowed to mention 'Halloween' by name. What the hell?! Unfortunately, since Halloween as Americans know it is not a religious holiday (contrary to what any evangelist or moronic Bible tract might tell you), there's no one around to kick up the same controversy we got a few years ago when certain groups tried to limit the use of the word 'Christmas.' Even worse, I am constantly having to correct kids who spread the horrible lie that Halloween is 'the Devil's birthday.' Way to go, parents!

Anyway, enough soap-boxing (thanks again, Dad), let's get to my nephew. When he was born last January, one of the first things that came to my mind when I held him in my hands was that his body size would make for a good Yoda come next Halloween. I started to brain-storm. I planned on fashioning two Yoda ears out of foam rubber, getting a baby bathrobe, and coating his baby dome in green face-paint. Fortunately for Brodie, Target was selling a less irritating option for $19.99. Check him out:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Here he is, fishing for swamp vittles near the shores of Dagobah.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And here he is, just being cute.

Brodie, I know you are too young to use the internets, let alone care about movies enough to read your insane uncle's website. But if you ever read this, I love you.

Have a Happy (and Safe) Halloween, everyone. And if you gotta see a scary movie in theaters tonight, remember that 30 Days of Night is more badass than any of the two Saw films I have seen to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home