Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Trailer for City of God sequel.

City of Men:


I remember the first time I watched City of God. One of my really good friends grew up in Brazil, where his dad still lived. He got the movie as a gift, long before it was released theatrically here in the states and a whole group of my friends watched it in his dorm room. The movie blew me away, instantly becoming one of my top ten favorite films of all time. That said, I am really not feeling this trailer very much, or even the idea of a sequel in general.

City of God was so raw. Probably just as raw as the city it supposedly told the story of. And while director Fernando Meirelles is on board as producer of this film, it just doesn't seem to have that vibe. It actually looks a lot like those American 'ghetto shoot-em-up's' Spike Lee is always complaining about.

Funny thing is, because the last one became so popular on video, there's a chance City of Men could make more money theatrically than its predecessor.